Thursday, February 11, 2016

Valentine’s Day pet health hazards

Chocolates, flowers and beautifully wrapped gifts make for a lovely Valentine’s Day, but for pets these items are all dangerous health hazards. Nothing ruins a romantic date night quite like a sick dog at home. Dr. Denise Petryk, on-staff veterinarian at Trupanion, offers a look in to the most common Valentine’s Day pet dangers and how to keep your beloved pets out of harm’s way.

--Keep chocolate treats away from pets. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are toxic to pets. Ingestion could lead to heart damage and central nervous system damage.

--The accidental ingestion of ribbon used to wrap gifts can cause bunching in the intestines and may require emergency surgery. Remember to clean up any wrapping supplies once gifts are wrapped and again after they are opened.


--Never share alcohol with pets. Even a small amount of alcohol is poisonous to pets. Make sure all bottles, cans, and glasses are kept out of pets’ reach and put away quickly after consumption.

--Flowers are a beautiful addition to any home, but can cause problems for pets. Lilies are particularly toxic to cats if ingested and tulips can cause stomach irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea. Display all flowers high on tables and countertops not easily accessible to cats and dogs.

--Never leave candles unattended. Candles can easily be knocked over, causing not only harm to your pet if he is nearby, but harm to the entire house. Keep a close eye on open flames and never leave them unattended.

No comments:

Post a Comment