Thursday, October 29, 2015

Five dangerous Halloween candies for dogs



By Dr. Eva Evans, a veterinarian and writer for Pets Best, a dog insurance and cat insurance agency.

Halloween is associated with spooky haunted houses, costume parties and most of all, Halloween candy! Certain types of candy can be toxic and very dangerous to pets, however. 

Below are five dangerous Halloween candies for dogs.

--1. Candy Corn and Other High Sugar Candy: Candies that are made with pure sugar can cause severe gas and diarrhea among dogs. The sugar not only provides a great source of food for gut bacteria to indulge on, it can also pull water into the colon and cause a bad case of diarrhea.

--2. Chocolate-Covered Raisins: These tasty treats combine two potentially deadly ingredients for dogs. Chocolate can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and seizures. Raisins (and other grape products) can cause severe kidney failure. The two of these combined is the ultimate toxic nightmare for Fido. If your dog eats any chocolate-covered raisins this Halloween, he needs to be taken to your veterinarian immediately for treatment.

--3. Candy with Wrappers: When dogs get into the candy bowl, they don’t usually bother to unwrap the treats first. Plastic and foil wrappers pose a health risk, since they can cause an obstruction in the intestines and irritate the lining of the GI tract. Sometimes, pets can pass the wrappers without a problem, but it is best to keep all wrapped treats away from pets, just in case.

--4. Bite-Size Hard Candy: Hard candy often has a delicious taste to dogs. These treats pose a major choking hazard for pets, however. Hard candy becomes slippery when mixed with saliva, and it can easily be inhaled into the trachea (wind pipe), which can cause choking. Be sure to keep these candies away from dogs and cats.

--5. Sugar-Free Gum: This type of gum may contain Xylitol, a sugar substitute. Xylitol is perfectly safe in people, but it can be deadly if ingested by a dog. Xylitol causes a very severe drop in blood sugar that can happen within minutes after ingestion. Dogs may become lethargic, unable to walk and start having seizures. If they survive the initial symptoms, they often will have severe liver damage and potentially fatal liver failure. This is the most dangerous type of Halloween candy for dogs.

Keep your pet safe this Halloween by keeping all of your Halloween treats in a safe, secure place.

For more information about Pets Best, visit www.petsbest.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment