Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Doctors offer tips for keeping pets safe from unexpected poisons

It's National Poison Prevention week, and doctors from BluePearl Veterinary Partners specialty and emergency hospitals are reminding owners about the surprising number of household items that are toxic to pets.

One frequent source of danger is prescription human medications, said Dr. Benjamin Davidson, a board certified emergency and critical care veterinarian with BluePearl.

Davidson said he recently treated an 8-month-old Labradoodle who got into his owner’s muscle relaxers. By the time the dog was rushed to the BluePearl Veterinary Partners hospital in Manhattan, he was comatose. After five days on a ventilator and numerous dialysis treatments, the pup made a full recovery.
Davidson recommends all owners keep medications in a locked cabinet that pets can’t reach. Also, never give your pets human medication – prescription or non-prescription – without checking first with your veterinarian.

National Poison Prevention Week started runs through Sat., March 21. The purpose is to create awareness and prevent injury or death due to poisoning.

Other common pet poisons include:

 --Household products, such as cleaners, antifreeze and paint thinner

--Rodenticides

--Hops, the ingredient used in brewing beer

--Insecticides

--Lawn and garden products

--Cocoa bean mulch

--Bodybuilding or weight loss supplements

Additionally, garlic, grapes, macadamia nuts, chocolate, onions, raisins and raw or undercooked food can create major problems for dogs and cats.

If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, remain calm. Call your family veterinarian or the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. And bring any remnants of the potential poison with you to help your veterinarian diagnose the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment